M103 Service Alert Details
Earlier this morning, I posted an entry about a M103 service alert which led to the detours which are still in place as I write this entry. The incident referred to in the service alert was the result of a dump truck hitting a Fung Wah bus. Sewell Chan of the New York Times City Room Blog posted this report:
A commercial dump truck rammed into a bus in Chinatown on Monday morning, sending it onto the sidewalk and crashing into the front of a bank, killing a 57-year-old woman and injuring four others, including two police officers, officials said.
The fatally injured woman, who authorities said was struck by debris that fell from a sign as she was trying to cross the street, was pronounced dead at the scene. She was later identified as Lai Ho, of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The authorities said she might have died of a heart attack after being hit by the debris.
Three people who were inside the bus — a driver and two passengers — were taken to Bellevue Hospital Center. A fourth person inside the bus was taken to New York Downtown Hospital in stable condition.
The driver of the dump truck was reported to be in critical, but stable, condition. The driver — identified as Alejandro Fallo, 54 — was conscious and passed a Breathalyzer test administered at the scene, the authorities said.
“The only thing I can tell you is that it was a dump truck coming over the Manhattan Bridge, that somehow went out of control and struck a bus,” Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said this morning, who was speaking at a news conference at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, before a ceremony for police recruits. “The bus then struck a lamp post and a fire hydrant, and went into a bank. A woman that was struck is in very serious condition. I’m not certain if it’s a fatality. A police car — a CRV van — was also struck. Two of our officers were injured as well.”
The van, known as a critical response vehicle or CRV, was on routine patrol as part of the Police Department’s counterterrorism initiatives, the authorities said. The two officers in the van were treated at the scene for minor injuries.
The dump truck was operated of CPQ Freight System, based in East Rutherford, N.J., traveled from the Manhattan Bridge, clipped three vans as it went along, then — at the northeast corner of Bowery and Canal — crashed into a Fung Wah bus parked in front of 147 Canal Street. The bus, part of a company that operates intercity bus lines, had its cargo doors open. Passengers were waiting outside to board the bus.
The force of the collision spun the front of the bus toward the right and into a storefront at 77 Bowery, where the United Commercial Bank is located. Several attempts to reach the bank’s representatives by phone were unsuccessful. The rear of the bus swung into the Bowery. A lamp post was also knocked down.
Jimmy Zocco, a painter who was sitting in a van when the accident, said: “A dump truck came flying off the bridge. He hit the back of the bus and dragged it into the street.” He said of the 20 or so people waiting to board the bus: “They scattered. They ran. They saw it coming.” The dump truck also knocked over a fire hydrant.
The Sanitation Department was not involved in the accident, but sent workers to help with cleaning up antifreeze, coolant and other liquids that were released by the vehicles during the collision, city officials said.
Al Baker, Dmitry Kiper and Colin Moynihan contributed reporting.
My condolences go out to the friends & family of Lai Ho who must deal with this awful tragedy.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- NYC Transit Bus Kills Elderly Woman
- Car Crashes Into Bus Shelter
- Metro-North Accident Leaves 7 Dead
- Two Officers Shot At 21st Street-Queensbridge Subway Station
- Elderly Woman Hit By Q65 Bus
C Train Service Alert
The MTA has posted a service alert regarding
train service. The service alert states:
Due to a police investigation at the Kingston-Throop Avenue Station, Euclid Avenue-bound
trains are running on the express track between the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street Station and the Broadway Junction Station.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- A & C Train Service Alert
- C Train Service Alert
- Update To Previous Service Alert: Now No A & C Service!
- C & E Train Service Alert
- 6 Train Service Alert (Updated: 11:39 am)
M103 Service Alert
The MTA has posted a service alert regarding M103 service. The service alerts states:
Due to a traffic accident at the intersection of Canal Street and the Bowery, the M103 bus is detoured as follows:
Northbound – Left on Canal Street, Right on Centre Street, Right on Kenmare Street, Left on Bowery, then regular route.
Southbound – Right on Delancey Street, Left on Broadway, Left on Canal Street, Right on Bowery, then regular route.
Please expect delays in M103 bus service at this time.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- MTA Service Advisory
- J, M, & Z Service Alert
- M6 Southbound Route Revised
- M11 Rerouted Due To 9/11 Ceremony
- Fastrack Comes To The J
MTA To Vote On Budget Savings Plan
Today is a big day for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) or more specifically New York City Transit, as they will be voting on the proposed budget savings plan. The plan would eliminate or curb back the following:
- 19 station rehabs
- Administrative reductions
- Cancel bus arrival GPS pilot program
- Car cleaning
- Car quality control
- Repairs to tunnel ventilation
- Scheduled painting of above-ground structures
Matthew Sweeney of AMNY filed this report which will appear in tomorrow’s edition:
Let the service cuts begin.
New York City Transit is expected to vote Monday on its budget-savings plan that would halt plans to repair 19 stations, put off paint jobs for flaking elevated structures, and institute a more “efficient” way of cleaning subway cars.
The delays on the capital project are estimated to save $2.4 billion at a time when the MTA is warning of a possible fare hike next year. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority must release a preliminary budget for 2009 next month and estimates a deficit of $500 million to $700 million.
“I think they need to spend money on making stations look better,” said Demitri Yermolaev, 26, of Brooklyn, as he waited for the train in Union Square. “Service has to be improved, definitely not scaled back.”
Many of the cuts, however, will take place behind the scenes and delay needed repairs to transit buildings that keep the system running, such as tunnel vents, bus depots, and a subway-car overhaul shop.
“You have to be concerned about the lack of funding support from the state and the city,” said MTA board member Andrew Albert. “They want all of these improvements and then they scream when we raise fares. They have to come up with more money.”
The MTA is waiting for a commission headed by former authority chairman Richard Ravitch to recommend new sources of funding. In the absence of additional funding from the state, the cuts will help pay for $2.5 billion in capital projects such as subway flooding control, increases to paratransit service, and rehabilitation of the elevated section of the F line in Brooklyn and new cars for the “letter” subway lines.
Another $8.9 million in savings will come from the MTA’s operating budget. The savings, which will fund increased service on certain train lines, include subway car cleaning and quality control.
“None of the reductions will have an impact on what riders see,” said transit spokesman Paul Fleuranges in an e-mail.
In the past, transit advocates have disputed the MTA’s proclaimed “efficiencies” as little more than service cuts.
William Henderson, executive director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory to the MTA, wondered exactly where the savings would be found in subway car cleaning.
“When people get on a car and maybe it’s not quite as clean as before, they notice it,” he said.
The $8.9 million will fund increases on numerous subway lines targeted to relieve crowding. Transit will add 10 trains to the No. 4 line throughout the weekday, and more weekend service on the No. 7 line. The No. 3 train will get overnight service to 148th Street. Other lines with added service are the No. 1 (weeknights), No. 6 (weeknights), Times Square shuttle (late morning rush), and the B, M and W trains.
The added service allows transit to try and maintain its own guidelines for crowding that have been overwhelmed by increases in ridership during the past four years.
“While one trip may not seem like anything substantial, the impact will be felt not only by those riders who ride that particular train, but by riders up and down the line who will benefit from the reduction in over crowded conditions,” Fleuranges said.
Major construction projects — such as the Second Avenue subway or the East Side Access plan to bring Long Island Rail Road trains into Grand Central Terminal — are not on the chopping block yet, said those who were briefed on the current cost-savings plan.
“Those are the projects they’re trying to protect,” Henderson said. “Those are the projects where a delay really ends up costing you money.”
Henderson said that to some riders, getting repairs to their home station was as important as the Second Avenue Subway.
But delays on the mega-projects are possible in the long run, and the agency has not ruled out cuts to train service as a last resort to balance its budget.
“I’m not going to be for any cutting for service,” Albert. “It’s one thing to raise the fare; its quite another to cut service, especially when we have record ridership. The better policy is for the state to fund all of this.”
Andrew Albert has a strong point when he said “They want all of these improvements and then they scream when we raise fares. They have to come up with more money.” He is 100% right about our elected officials needing to give them more money. However it should be noted that the MTA should also be held accountable for years of wasting money as well. The issues that face the cash strapped agency go both ways so some soul searching is needed from the likes of Mr. Albert & his peers.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- MTA To Trim $40M From Project Budget
- MTA To Cutback On Weekend Subway Service
- Cuomo Plan Axes $100M From MTA Budget
- MTA Cutting Its Budget By $61M
- MTA Passes On Seatless Subway Plan
Latest Subway Diversions Are Up
I apologize for the delay in getting the latest scheduled subway diversions updated in the left sidebar.
train riders make note of the emergency track work.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend & safe commute.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries: