Beat The Heat By Riding A MTA City Bus

Bx31 departing the Westchester Square terminal. Resized photo courtesy of EyeOnTransit.com
Last week the MTA released a report which trumpeted the fact that most NYC Subway cars are adequately air conditioned. Just a few days ago the MTA’s New York City Transit division released a similar report but this time for city buses. New York Daily News Transit Reporter Pete Donohue has the report:
Transit workers gauged the temperature on NYC Transit buses 2,200 times this summer and found the air to be chilled 96.5% of time, according to NYC Transit data.
In the most extensive monitoring of its kind by the agency, just 78 buses were deemed unacceptably warm, with temperatures of 78 degrees or higher.
Click here for the complete report.
Maybe I should ride the city bus more often considering how much I hate any type of hot weather. Give me near or below zero temperatures because I’m a winter baby!
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- Service Diversions 12-06-10
- MTA To Retrofit Buses With GPS Tracking
- $99 Millon Dollar GPS Bus Plan Stalls
- NYC Transit Releases Data On Late Trains
- Retired MTA Bus Driver Found Dead
MTA CEO Elliot Sander Discusses The MTA’s Financial Hardship
MTA CEO/Executive Director Elliot Sander sat down with NY1 Transit Reporter Bobby Cuza to discuss the financial hardship currently being felt by the MTA. Mr. Sander’s comments echo the same message we have heard for months which we all know is very grim. Here is a sample of Bobby’s report:
CEO Lee Sander says the moment of reckoning is approaching for the MTA transit agency. After borrowing billions and billions of dollars during Governor George Pataki’s administration to pay for system repairs, with no real plan for how to pay that money back, the bills are finally coming due.
“What is just most important is for New Yorkers to realize that the future of the city and the region is at risk,” said Sander.
Click here for the complete report.
Honestly this report did not break any grounds in terms of new news. This of course is no fault to Bobby who does a great job bringing transit news to the forefront. The sad part for me is just listening or reading Elliot’s thoughts on the current state of finances at the MTA. I sit there & wonder how long will it take to get out of this mess. I wonder if we actually can as it is hard to change a culture that has systematically led to this breaking point. While many will scream for the MTA to better manage their money, I will sit back & wish it was that easy to fix the current state of financial disrepair.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- Rockland Considers Withdrawing From The MTA
- MTA CEO Paints A Grim Financial Picture
- MTA Delighted With Gov. Patterson
- MTA CEO Elliot Sander Says The Fare Hike Can Not Wait!
- MTA Schedules A Special Meeting
Service Diversions 08-08
I have just updated the service diversions page with the latest scheduled diversions for this weekend plus next week (and beyond in some cases). Don’t forget to check in for any changes to the page. I also suggest printing out a copy of the page to use while riding the system.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- Service Diversions 06-26
- Service Diversions 06-19
- Service Diversions 06-12
- Service Diversions 05-29
- Service Diversions 05-15
$210 Million Grant Approved For LIRR East Side Access Project
Earlier today New York Senators Charles Schumer & Hillary Clinton announced the official approval of funding for the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) East Side Access project. The funding will come in the form of a $210 million dollar grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Steve Ritea of Newsday filed this brief report:
Sens. Charles Schumer and Hillary Clinton on Thursday announced $210 million in federal funding for East Side Access, the $7.2-billion project to link the Long Island Rail Road to Grand Central Terminal by 2015.
Although the funds — received through a grant by the U.S. Department of Transportation — were already anticipated, their final approval is nonetheless welcome news as the Metropolitan Transportation Authority wrestles with a fiscal crisis that forced the agency to delay a slew of other, smaller capital projects last month.
“East Side Access is a crucial mass transit project for New York City, and this funding means less crowded subways and buses, more convenient routes and less wear and tear on our rails and roads,” Schumer said.
“This is a wise investment in New York’s infrastructure that will improve transportation services for many New Yorkers and Long Islanders who are feeling the strain of the daily commute,” Clinton added.
The project, which still needs about $3 billion in funds, recently reached a milestone when one of the tunnels the LIRR needs between Queens and Grand Central was completed.
Also Thursday, Schumer announced the Federal Transit Administration has awarded $490,000 for upgrades at Long Island Bus, which serves Nassau County.
I am excited to see the federal government help fund our transit infrastructure. Sorry I can’t be more excited about it though as I’m not a big supporter of the East Side Access Project in terms of it being completed before more significant projects. I am happy to see Long Island Bus get some funds as that division could use a complete overhaul to be able to provide the service it should for Long Island residents.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries:- Sen Schumer Seeks $550M For Repairs
- Next Stop On The Second Avenue Subway; 125 Million St….
- LIRR Third Rail Project Battle
- LIRR JFK – Lower Manhattan Link Funding….
- MTA Awards LIRR Grand Central Contract
MTA Looking Into Station Sponsorships Again
The MTA is looking under every rock to find ways to bring more money in. Last month I wrote about their plan of looking to ads to add financial muscle. Today’s edition of AMNY features an article by transportation writer Matthew Sweeney which talks about the idea of selling station sponsorships to companies. Here is a brief sample of his article:
Imagine Mickey Mouse greeting passengers as they step onto the platform at a “Disney Times Square” station or “CitiStation” beneath Citigroup Center at 53rd Street and Lexington Avenue.”
In the midst of a financial crisis, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is looking at corporate sponsorship of subway stations to help fill its massive budget gap.
“We’re looking to see what more we can do to raise revenue through station advertising,” MTA CEO Elliot Sander told amNewYork.
Sponsorship, little more than a sketch on paper at this point, could become the most visible component of the agency’s aggressive push to increase advertising revenue, which currently brings in a little more than $100 million a year.
Click here for the entire article.
I support this idea of sponsoring stations. The kind of revenue this could bring in if done right would be huge for the MTA. Major companies would not pass up an opportunity to target a subway system that moves millions of people around daily.
Outside of the money factor, I feel this would be a great way to help fund the complete cleanup & repair of stations throughout the system. Do you really think Disney for instance would spend millions on advertising & have their station look like utter garbage? I sure don’t think so.
As far as overdoing it is concerned, I don’t think that applies in this case. Riders see advertisements every single day so what would be different about this? It is not like the MTA will allow a company to turn a station into an amusement park. Riders should seriously look at the bigger picture instead of worrying about such inconsequential things. As far as Playboy is concerned, do you really think the MTA would allow them to advertise? People should think before saying something so stupid. Lets hope the MTA does not blow this golden opportunity to rake in the dough.
xoxo Transit Blogger
You might enjoy reading these related entries: