Over the past couple of weeks, I have blogged on numerous occasions about the pending job cuts facing many transit workers. My last entry on the topic was two days ago when I wrote about how Jhesky Vega lost his job as he & his fiancee were preparing for their October wedding in Puerto Rico. In today’s edition of the New York Daily News, Pete Donohue takes a look at how the MTA will be announcing more job cuts:
The MTA will announce even more job cuts Thursday as hundreds of token booth clerks – victims of the first wave of layoffs – turn in their equipment, officials said.
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority already has instructed about 475 pink-slipped clerks to hand in their badges, uniforms and other property at an NYC Transit training center in Brooklyn this morning and afternoon.
Their positions are among the nearly 1,475 transit officials the MTA previously announced it was slashing from the bus and subway divisions to help close a massive budget gap this year – and now more layoffs are coming.
“We have no choice,” MTA Chairman Jay Walder said Wednesday, discussing the authority’s need to reduce labor costs because of a massive budget gap.
Click here for the complete report.
I can’t say this comes as any surprise. Even a casual observer could not notice how the MTA’s fiscal woes continue to spiral out of control. Until our city & state officials step up to the plate & come up with sustainable funding solutions, hard working blue-collar workers will suffer via job cuts & riders via service cuts. We as a region need to vote all of these crooks out of office & elect leaders who understand the importance & value of mass transit to our region on all fronts.
xoxo Transit Blogger