If local meteorologists are right, our region will be hit with another snow storm albeit not as strong as the one over Christmas weekend. With the angry sentiment still out there from the performance of the MTA & NYC as a whole during the last storm, the much maligned transit agency is taking steps to improve their performance.
Yesterday afternoon, the MTA Long Island Rail Road announced it will be offering extra early afternoon service. Here are the complete details courtesy of the press release I received:
With weather forecasts calling for a winter storm, the Long Island Rail Road has begun storm preparations to ensure safe travel across the region. In addition, the LIRR will be providing additional early-afternoon service Friday, January 7 for customers looking to return home as a result of the forecasted storm. There will be eight additional eastbound trains from Penn Station between 2:10 PM and 3:48 PM. The extra service will include: three trains on the Babylon Branch, three on the Port Jefferson Branch, one on the Port Washington Branch and one on the Far Rockaway Branch.
The extra trains from Penn Station on Friday, January 7 are as follows:
Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville and Huntington:
• 2:10 PM stopping at Jamaica, Carle Place and all stops to Huntington
• 2:29 PM stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park, then all stops to Huntington
• 3:24 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, Westbury and Hicksville
• 2:22 PM express to Lynbrook, then all stops to Babylon
• 3:00 PM stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon
• 3:31 PM express to Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon
Port Washington Branch to Great Neck:
• 3:40 PM stopping Woodside, Flushing Main St., then all stops to Great Neck
Far Rockaway Branch:
• 3:48 PM express to Locust Manor, Laurelton, Rosedale, Valley Stream, then all stops to Far Rockaway
xoxo Transit Blogger