Riders of the , & make note that service will be suspended for two weeks in Southern Brooklyn due to critical switch work. Here are the full details:
MTA NYC Transit will be performing a major switch renewal and maintenance related work on the BQF lines in Brooklyn. For two consecutive weeks beginning 11:00 p.m. Friday, November 21 until 5:00 a.m. Monday, December 1, F trains will be suspended in both directions between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Avenue X, and Q trains will be suspended in both directions between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Brighton Beach. Free shuttle buses will provide alternate service between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and all affected stations between Avenue X on the F line, and Brighton Beach on the BQ lines.
This critical switch renewal project south of the West 8 St-NY Aquarium subway station is essential to the safe operation of trains along the Sea Beach corridor. The switch was originally installed in 1987. In NYC Transit’s ongoing efforts to ensure the subway system remains in a state of good repair, workers will take advantage of the 24/7 uninterrupted access to this section of track to complete this vital maintenance project during the upcoming two week closure. Other maintenance work will also include the installation of new track panels along the elevated BQF line structure. This work is part of NYC Transit’s ongoing Capital Rebuilding Program aimed at upgrading and maintaining our tracks, stations and signal systems in order to continue to provide our customers with safe and reliable service.
We realize this will be an inconvenience to our customers, however this work is vital to improve the future reliability of service along the BQF lines. “We appreciate the community’s patience as we complete this important switch replacement project, and necessary track maintenance work. Our goal is to complete this work as quickly and efficiently as possible,.” said NYC Transit President Carmen Bianco.
How trains will operate
B customers (B service operates weekdays only)
• B trains will operate between Kings Hwy and Bedford Park Blvd/145 St. For service to Brighton Beach, transfer to a Brighton Beach-bound Q train.
• Q service will operate between 57 St-7 Av and Brighton Beach in both directions.
• Q trains will be suspended in both directions between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Brighton Beach.
• Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Brighton Beach stopping at Ocean Pkwy and West 8 St-NY Aquarium.
• F service will operate between Jamaica-179 St and Avenue X in both directions.
• F trains will be suspended in both directions between Avenue X and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.
• Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between Avenue X and Coney Island-Stillwell Av stopping at Neptune Av and West 8 St-NY Aquarium.
• For direct service between Coney Island and Downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan, take the D or N.
• Transfer between trains at Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr DNQ in Brooklyn and 34 St-Herald Sq DFNQ in Manhattan
xoxo Transit Blogger