The much discussed cuts to Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) service included the suspension of it to Belmont Park. The only exceptions were for June 4th & June 5th due to the Belmont Stakes. Yesterday afternoon, the agency sent out a press release to talk about the upcoming service to the race track:
The MTA Long Island Rail Road will operate train service to Belmont Park, this Friday, June 4 and on Saturday, June 5 for the Belmont Stakes, when a special schedule will be in effect. Daily train service to Belmont was canceled as part of service reductions that went into effect May 17 required to address the MTA’s nearly $800-million budget shortfall for 2010.
The MTA Police will be enforcing a no alcohol policy on trains to Belmont Park. Bags and coolers are subject to search prior to boarding Belmont Park trains at Penn Station and at Jamaica Station. On Belmont Stakes Day, no alcoholic beverages of any kind will be permitted to be brought into Belmont Park. First race post time on Stakes Day is 11:35 AM.
Round trip LIRR Belmont package tickets should be purchased at ticket windows or from ticket machines prior to boarding the train. The round-trip fare from Penn Station is $12; from Jamaica, $9. The one-way fare from Penn Station and Woodside is $7; from Jamaica, $6. On Stakes Day, Belmont package tickets will not be sold on-board the train. Package tickets from Brooklyn and Woodside are also available with connections in Jamaica for trains to Belmont. Only Belmont Park tickets will be accepted for train service to and from Belmont Park. CityTicket, Monthly, Weekly and Ten-Trip Tickets are not valid on Belmont Park trains. Weekly and Monthly ticket holders can use their commuter tickets for travel to and from Jamaica, but must purchase a Belmont Park ticket prior to boarding at Jamaica to cover the fare between Jamaica and Belmont Park.
Round-trip fares from Long Island to Belmont, with a transfer at Jamaica are:
Zone 3 (Rosedale, St. Albans, Queens Village, Hollis) — $9
Zone 4 (Far Rockaway, Lynbrook, Hempstead, Mineola )– $11
Zone 7 (Long Beach, Massapequa, Hicksville, Oyster Bay) — $13
Zone 9 (Babylon, Deer Park, Huntington, Northport) — $16
Zone 10 (Bay Shore, Sayville, Ronkonkoma, Patchogue, Port Jefferson) — $20
Belmont Park tickets are available at LIRR Full Service Ticket Machines (grey, blue or green). Press the “Deals & Getaways” button on the first screen, select “Belmont Park,” pay with cash, ATM/debit or credit cards.
Special admission prices are in effect at Belmont Park for Stakes Day only. General Admission is $10 and Clubhouse admission is $20.
Belmont Stakes Service from Penn Station, June 5:
• 9:59 AM, stopping at Jamaica 10:18, arriving Belmont 10:32 AM.
• 10:07 AM, stopping at Jamaica 10:29 arriving Belmont 10:44 AM.
• 10:29 AM, stopping at Jamaica 10:50, arriving Belmont 11:06 AM.
• 10:58 AM, stopping at Jamaica 11:15, arriving Belmont 11:35 AM.
• 11:04 AM, stopping at Jamaica 11:21, arriving Belmont 11:40 AM.
• 11:30 AM, stopping at Jamaica 11:50, arriving Belmont 12:04 PM.
• 11:37 AM, stopping at Jamaica 12:00 PM, arriving Belmont 12:16 PM.
• 11:57 AM, stopping at Jamaica 12:17 PM, arriving Belmont 12:31 PM.
• 12:30 PM, stopping at Jamaica 12:50 PM, arriving Belmont 1:04 PM.
• 12:37 PM, stopping at Jamaica 12:58 PM, arriving Belmont 1:12 PM.
• 12:55 PM, stopping at Jamaica 1:15 PM, arriving Belmont 1:28 PM.
• 1:05 PM, stopping at Jamaica 1:27 PM, arriving Belmont 1:40 PM.
• 1:33 PM, stopping at Jamaica 1:54 PM, arriving Belmont 2:10 PM.
• 2:37 PM, stopping at Jamaica 2:59 PM, arriving Belmont 3:15 PM.
• 2:55 PM, stopping at Jamaica 3:17 PM, arriving Belmont 3:33 PM.
• 3:28 PM, stopping at Jamaica 3:47 PM, arriving Belmont 4:01 PM.
• 3:45 PM, change at Jamaica 4:06 PM, arriving Belmont 4:30 PM.
• 4:25 PM, change at Jamaica 4:45 PM, arriving Belmont 5:06 PM.
Customers traveling from Woodside, Atlantic Terminal, Nostrand Avenue and East New York, as well as from stations in Nassau and Suffolk can connect with Belmont trains at Jamaica. Customers may consult the special LIRR Belmont Stakes timetable available at stations, or the LIRR’s website at www.mta.info for full Belmont Stakes train schedules.
For the return trip, trains will depart Belmont beginning at 4:16 PM, then 4:54 PM, 5:16 PM, 5:53 PM and then approximately every 15 minutes from 6:30 PM to 9 PM to Jamaica, Brooklyn and Penn Station.
June 4 Train Service:
The LIRR will operate regular Belmont Race Track train service on Friday, June 4. Two eastbound trains to Belmont Park will depart from Jamaica Station at 12:18 PM and 1:40 PM. Two westbound trains will depart from Belmont Park at 3:56 PM and 6:01 PM (or 30 minutes after the last race).
Belmont is a special event station and therefore services are limited. The station is not wheelchair accessible, there are no elevators, and only limited escalator service. It is necessary to use stairs to and from most train platforms.
xoxo Transit Blogger