Late Sunday evening the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) sent out a press release via e-mail to alert the media that A.M. service would be affected due to the derailment that occurred earlier in the day. The affects will be seen in the form of delays, service cancellations & service reductions. Here are the complete details:
MTA Long Island Rail Road customers should anticipate significant schedule changes and possible delays tomorrow morning as a result of a derailment that occurred in Jamaica on Sunday.
LIRR crews are working overnight to try and repair damage to switches and track caused by the derailment, but it is likely that all the work will not be completed in time for the Monday morning rush hour service.
The cause of the derailment is under investigation; however this incident is not related to the train sideswipe that occurred in Jamaica on November 19.
The Monday AM Rush service plan includes cancellation of 12 westbound AM rush trains. As a result, there will be residual delays from added station stops and not all scheduled connections will be available at Jamaica Station to Penn Station, Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn, Hunterspoint Avenue, and Long Island City. LIRR station personnel will be available at Jamaica to assist customers with service information. The modified plan also includes service changes for the eastbound AM Rush.
Westbound AM Peak Service:
The following westbound AM Rush trains will be canceled in the modified service plan:
• 6:25 AM train from Hicksville, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 7:11 AM
• 6:26 AM train from Massapequa Park, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 7:22 AM
• 6:57 AM train from Freeport, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 7:40 AM.
• 7:23 AM train from Hempstead, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 8:20 AM
• 7:29 AM train from Freeport, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:13 AM
• 7:40 AM train from Ronkonkoma, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 9:01 AM
• 7:43 AM train from Merrick, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:31 AM
• 8:03 AM train from Long Beach, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:54 AM
• 8:03 AM train from Valley Stream, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:42 AM
• 8:38 AM train from Long Beach, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 9:26 AM
The following trains will terminate in Jamaica:
• 7:12 AM train from Hempstead, scheduled to arrive in Penn Station at 8:03 AM
• 7:16 AM train from West Hempstead, scheduled to arrive in Flatbush Avenue at 8:03 AM
Eastbound (Reverse Peak) Service:
LIRR eastbound, reverse peak service from Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn will be extremely limited – with one passenger train departing the Brooklyn terminal per hour. Customers should consider using Penn Station reverse peak service, which is expected to operate at regularly scheduled times; however customers should anticipate delays en-route.
The LIRR will continue to update this Service Advisory as track repairs are made. Customers should monitor news media reports and the LIRR’s website (at www.mta.inof/lirr) for updates to this AM modified service plan and information regarding PM train service.