The LIRR’s Memorial Day holiday weekend service plan:
The MTA Long Island Rail Road will kick start Memorial Day Weekend – the traditional start of summer – by providing additional early-afternoon train service from Penn Station on Friday, May 27 for customers planning an early start to the holiday weekend. There will also be a special Memorial Day weekend package fare to Calverton National Cemetery on Saturday, May 28, for those wishing to visit the grave of a loved one.
Extra Train Service from Penn Station, Friday, May 27:
Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville and Huntington
• 2:10 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, then all stops to Huntington.
• 2:29 PM stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park, then all stops to Huntington.
• 3:24 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, Westbury and Hicksville.
• 2:24 PM express to Lynbrook, then all stops to Babylon.
• 3:00 PM stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon.
• 3:31 PM express to Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon.
Port Washington Branch to Great Neck:
• 3:18 PM stopping at Woodside, Flushing Main St., then all stops to Port Washington.
• 3:40 PM stopping at Woodside, Flushing Main St., then all stops to Great Neck.
Far Rockaway Branch:
• 3:48 PM express to Locust Manor then all stops to Far Rockaway.
Montauk Branch (Penn Station to Jamaica with Montauk Connections):
• 1:45 PM to Jamaica, with a Montauk train connection.
• 3:58 PM to Jamaica, with a Montauk train connection.
Ronkonkoma Branch to Greenport:
• 5:21 PM train from Ronkonkoma to Yaphank is extended on Friday making all stops to Greenport.
MEMORIAL DAY, MONDAY, MAY 30:
The LIRR will operate on a Sunday schedule on Memorial Day.
SPECIAL TRIP TO CALVERTON CEMETERY, SATURDAY, MAY 28:
On Saturday, May 28, the LIRR will offer a special escorted package trip to Calverton National Cemetery for those wishing to visit the gravesite of a friend or family member. The LIRR’s escorted package includes discounted round trip rail fare from Penn Station, Woodside, Atlantic Terminal, or Jamaica and air-conditioned motor coach bus transportation to the cemetery. On the way to Calverton National Cemetery, the bus will make a stop for those wanting to purchase flowers and coffee or tea. Shuttle bus service within Calverton National Cemetery will be provided to accommodate visitors to the various sections and gravesites. Customers are advised to provide their own lunch, as eating facilities are not available at Calverton.
The one-day special package fare is $34 for adults, $27.50 for children ages 5-11. The train departs Penn Station at 9:16 AM and Jamaica at 9:38 AM. Passengers from Woodside should board the 9:28 AM train and Atlantic Terminal customers should board the 9:12 AM train and transfer at Jamaica to the Ronkonkoma train. Passengers for Calverton should board the head car of the train. Customers will transfer to bus service at Central Islip Station and will continue to Calverton.
Return service will be on the 3:40 PM train from Ronkonkoma, stopping at Jamaica ( 4:39 PM), Woodside ( 4:48 PM) and Penn Station ( 4:59 PM). Connecting service is available at Jamaica, arriving Atlantic Terminal at 5:12 PM. Tickets may be purchased at the Penn Station, Atlantic Terminal, Woodside and Jamaica and must be purchased at least 30 minutes before scheduled train departure time. Tickets can also be purchased at all full-service Ticket Machines. Customers purchasing tickets from Ticket Machines should select: Deals & Getaways, then LI Getaways.
xoxo Transit Blogger