LIRR train idle at the Ronkonkoma station. Resized photo courtesy of Eye On Transit
The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) has issued a press release about the planned service increases for the Independence Day holiday. Here are the details courtesy of the MTA:
The MTA Long Island Rail Road will provide additional early afternoon service from Penn Station for customers planning to leave work early on Thursday, July 3 for the start of the Independence Day holiday. The four additional Hamptons/Montauk summer service trains that normally run on Fridays will operate on Thursday, July 3rd.
The LIRR will be operating on a Saturday schedule on Friday, July 4th.
Eight extra trains will depart Penn Station between 1:47 PM and 3:48 PM on July 3. The extra service will include: three trains on the Port Jefferson Branch; three on the Babylon Branch; one on the Port Washington Branch to Great Neck; one on the Far Rockaway Branch as detailed below:
Extra Train Service from Penn Station, Thursday, July 3
Port Jefferson Branch to Hicksville and Huntington
* 1:47 PM stopping at Jamaica, Carle Place, then all stops to Huntington.
* 2:25 PM stopping at Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jamaica, New Hyde Park, then all stops to Huntington.
* 3:18 PM stopping at Jamaica, Mineola, Westbury and Hicksville.
* 2:22 PM express to Lynbrook, then all stops to Babylon.
* 2:58 PM stopping at Jamaica, Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon.
* 3:31 PM express to Rockville Centre, then all stops to Babylon.
Port Washington Branch to Great Neck
* 3:40 PM stopping at Woodside, Flushing Main Street, then all stops to Great Neck.
Far Rockaway Branch
* 3:48 PM stopping at Valley Stream, then all stops to Far Rockaway.
Extra Train Service to Hamptons/Montauk on Thursday, July 3 (These trains will not operate on Friday, July 4)
* 1:49 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arriving Montauk at 4:45 PM. (A 1:45 PM train departs Penn Station to connect with this train at Jamaica.)
* 4:06 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue arriving Montauk at 6:48 PM. (A 3:58 PM train departs Penn Station to connect with this train at Jamaica.)
* 5:09 PM from Penn Station arriving Montauk at 8:29 PM. (A 5:12 PM train departs Hunterspoint Avenue to connect with this train at Jamaica.)
* 7:31 PM from Jamaica arriving Montauk at 10:06 PM. (A 7:07 PM train departs Penn Station, and a 6:41 PM train departs Hunterspoint Avenue to connect with this train at Jamaica.)
North Fork train extended on July 3:
* The 5:19 PM train from Ronkonkoma to Yaphank will be extended to operate to Greenport (arriving 6:43 PM) on July 3.
Cars will also be added to some regularly scheduled eastbound trains.
Friday, July 4th
On Friday, July 4th, the LIRR will operate on a Saturday schedule.
For additional information, customers may contact the LIRR’s 24-hour Travel Information Center in Suffolk County at 631-231-LIRR, in Nassau County at 516-822-LIRR or in New York City at 718-217-LIRR. The Travel Information Center’s TDD telephone number for the hearing impaired is 718-558-3022. Customers may also consult the LIRR’s website at www.mta.info.