Tragic Weekend On The Subway

This weekend was filled with tragedy on the NYC Subway as it featured 4 deaths & the potential for a 5th. The tragic events first started on Friday morning around 2:15 AM when a man was pinned to the platform by a Bronx-bound (northbound) 2 train at the 174th Street station while trying to cross the tracks.

A few hours later, a man jumped in front of a Manhattan-bound (northbound) C train the 23rd Street station in Chelsea. The 3rd death occurred in Queens when a suicidal man was decapitated by a Queens-bound (Middle Village) M train as it rumbled into the Seneca Avenue station.

The 4th death is the only victim to be identified as 22 year old Francisco Deigo Jr. known by his deejay name of Tech Trackz was killed by a 2 train at the Wakefield-241st Street station after trying to retrieve his iPhone which had fallen to the tracks. Sadly his death likely could have been avoided if he had shown some patience. More on this story courtesy of this report by Mark Morales & Thomas Tracy of the New York Daily News:

A Bronx deejay who busted out beats under the name “Tech Trackz” died on a stretch of city subway tracks Saturday morning as he tried to retrieve an iPhone he had dropped, officials said.

Police sources said Francisco Diego Jr., 22, was shocked and then hit by a No. 2 train at the Wakefield-241st St. station — the last stop on the line — just after 1 a.m.

Sources said Diego told a token booth clerk he had dropped his smart phone on the tracks. After the train entered the station he managed to get between two train cars and jumped onto the tracks. He was electrocuted when he touched the third rail, sources said.

Diego fell onto the tracks, where the train hit him as it rumbled out of the station to be serviced.

Click here to read the complete story.

Unfortunately this would not be the last we would hear about iPhone safety issues on the subway as David Narson could have been killed. He got into a fight with a man on the E train who tried & eventually succeeded in stealing his iPhone & wallet. A bit more courtesy of Eyewitness News:

David Narson is fine, but he is angry that his attacker could have cost him his life.

On Saturday night, Narson was rushed to the hospital after a fight that started on the E train, and ended up spilling out onto the platform when the train pulled into the station at 53rd and Lexington.

“He pushed me on the tracks, I pulled myself off – I feel lucky,” says Narson.

Click here for the complete report with video.

I never like to hear or read about these subway deaths especially when they could have been avoided. The obsession with material goods especially those socially pimped out like the iPhone result in horrible choices that not only hurt but have led to the death of people.

I myself have an iPhone but I am not going to risk my life for it as at the end of the day no matter how attached I am to it (and I am), I realize that it is still just a phone. Hopefully this tragic death resonates with fellow smartphone owners (although I doubt it will for some) so they can realize that material goods can be replaced while a life can not!

xoxo Transit Blogger

If you enjoyed this post, please consider to leave a comment or subscribe to the feed and get future articles delivered to your feed reader.


No comments yet.

Leave a comment